The Dragon uses English
Bank of China chief's fluent English sways investors
The Star Online
Latest business news from AP-Wire
© 1995-2005 Star Publications (
The head of the Bank of China impressed investors by speaking in fluent English during the bank’s IPO road show.
His ability to take questions in English really endeared him to his audience since Chinese executives do not usually like taking questions even if they give presentation in English.
- Bank of China IPO US$9.7bn
- Language is an important business tool and this story shows how language can be used to create trust and confidence. However, how important is the “fluency” factor in creating that truct?
- Being able to answer questions is a fundamental feature of language use. It is clear from this story that dealing with questions is itself a causal factor in establishing a dialogue with and confidence in the other person.
- This story is evidence that English, as a language, is not a cultural or political issue.
- The need to do business takes priority over cultural or even political score points.
Can we put a value on the good-will created to a business because of good dialogue with shareholders and stakeholders?